– Under the guise of “asentimentalsong”, Joe Morgan uses little more than his custom made les paul & array of effects pedals to construct minimal soundscapes. his first recorded ouptut for the lab is a single fifteen minute piece on the a side of HSAL #19. If he had his way, this record would have gone on for days.
– Benjamin Mauch is somewhat of an expatriate from the Old Dominion, currently residing in South Korea. Prior to his move abroad, Mauch grew up along the fall line & attended university in the foothills of the Blue Ridge (that’s about as “Virginia” as it gets). Mauch’s work is 21st century minimalist composition.
– Joey Wright & Nathan McGlothlin (who are also part of TLVS’ current incarnation) showcase a beauty in subtle layer manipulation with lo-fi charm. Opting for improvisation over set structures, each performance (live or recorded) balance feelings of isolation, distance, and fear with solace, presence, and hope.
the accidental parade
– A recently birthed duet of bass guitar & trap set from South Norfolk (not Norfolk – there’s a difference!), the Accidental Parade play the kind of catchy vocal-less post-hardcore jams that were everyone’s favorite act on a bill featuring the touring Dischord band + 3 local openers. HSAL considers themselves lucky to have caught this ride early on!
the late virginia summers (TLVS)
– Having survived a handful of lineup changes, TLVS is currently a three piece that works with other artists from time to time. Sonically, the group plays off both the shoegazing bliss of the 90’s & the ambient texture of 21st century post rock.