HSAL #36: Various Artists, “Borrowed Recipes” DIG (free download)
Our annual FREE comp that accompanies our home town’s “Lynchstock Music Festival”! This time, we asked everyone to submit a cover & OH BOY (!!!) did the team turn in some doozies! The collection pays tribute to some heavy hitters (Stone Roses, Cocteau Twins, William Basinski) as well as some acts that hit close to HSAL’s heart (TLVS, Audio Explorations). ENJOY!
- Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon, “The Colour Of Spring”
- Band & The Beat, “I Wanna Be Adored”
- asentimentalsong, “Taken”
- Keep, “Stumbliene”
- honeybrandy & friends, “Tranquil Eye”
- Benjamin Mauch, “Pebble Azalea Starfish”
- Richard, Son Of Richard, “Learning To Fly”
- Quick On My Feet, “My Heart Will Go On”
- TLVS, “Peppermint”
- Oahu, “DLP 5”
AVAILABILITY: digital download only
ARTWORK: courtesy of HSAL
(clockwise from left: Joey Wright, Phillip Greenlief, Kris Tiner, Chris Schlarb, Nathan McGlothlin)
To say this past weekend was magical would be to understate its impact. HSAL traveled to southern California to mix down some new TLVS tunes & have honeybrandy cut a record with some seriously heavy hitters.
Nathan & Joey from TLVS spent a day working through the sounds that Chris Schlarb had captured at the Old City Cemetery Chapel back in July. A tweek here, an assembly direction there, & the involvement of a vintage Lexicon Prime Time delay unit later…the group now has fresh recordings of two new songs that have been bookending recent sets (“Stencils”, “Fragaria (Virginia)”). We are currently exploring options on how to share these tunes with you all.
On Friday, honeybrandy set up in Long Beach’s Big Ego Studios for a whirlwind session that drank freely from session guests Kris Tiner (trumpet), Phillip Greenlief (reeds), & studio owner Chris Schlarb (electric guitar). In the span of a day, nearly two hours of complete improvisation was captured. Reflecting on the session, Tiner described it as “weightless, effortless, sensitive and transcendent music”. Alongside of Schlarb, the duo took to listening back & mixing down the material on Sunday. Needless to say, we are ecstatic with the results & can’t wait to unveil this work.
…oh, & due to our avid fandom of “Arrested Development”, we paid a visit to the RMS Queen Mary, which has been docked in Long Beach harbor since 1967.
We’ve arrived at that time of the year where “holidays” are (not so subtly) creeping into the collective consciousness. November hold quite a bit in store for your friendly neighborhood record label. Here are some of the yarns being spun in our camp:
– honeybrandy are heading to the left coast to cut their next record with much lauded engineer & HSAL friend Chris Schlarb at Big Ego in Long Beach, CA. They will be partnering with some heavy hitters from the free jazz world for this full length. in the coming year, look for Joey & Nathan to present this material in live settings featuring horn players from the right coast to round out the textures.
– Our next release will be a digital mixtape, courtesy of resident chameleon Lloyd Harmon. “Mima’s Mixtapes, Volume 1” (HSAL #35) promises to be a wild ride, with influences all over the map. Look for the mixtape to drop via bandcamp on November 22nd.
– JUST CONFIRMED! TLVS will be playing at Speakertree with Comrades & everett on Tuesday, November 8th! Get out & VOTE (!!!!) then come blow off some steam with some rad acts.
– We have curated a new mix on our soundcloud page. It features lots of vibe & atmosphere from most everyone in the HSAL nuclear family. All 36 minutes are available to stream in the player below…
Every release from December 2009 through October 2016.
Here’s where we have come from. Seven inch singles, ten inch split EP’s, full-length special editions on colored wax, cassettes in multiple colors, digital streams…they’re all here! We’ve done our best to do the underground music scene across the Ol’ Dominion proud. Looking ahead, we plan to continue the work. The remaining months of 2016 holds a couple new cassettes, including the first physical release from our good buds Band & The Beat. Look for the pre-order campaign to drop on that one soon.
2017 will hold lots of exciting action from the HSAL camp as well. We’ll be releasing Lloyd Harmon’s EP as well as a collaborative affair b/t KillGXXD & members of local folk heroes Dogwood & Holly. New recordings from TLVS & honeybrandy will no doubt surface. We’re also keeping our ears to the ground for up & coming talent across the mid-Atlantic. Have something rad that you think we’d be into? Share your wares – email@example.com.
HSAL #29: honeybrandy/Oahu, “honeybrandy/Oahu″ (CASS/DIG)
Who is “honeybrandy”? 2/3’s of TLVS
Who is “Oahu”? Todd Webb
, illustrator, visual artist, & occasional seamonster
After seeing the them perform together this past spring, HSAL asked both acts to create a single composition of roughly 20 minutes in length for a split release. While akin in spirit, both acts turned in a unique experience. On the A side, honeybrandy weaves astrological readings into their trademark collage of synths, lap steel, & field recordings. The result is uneasy on the surface but soothing over time. Oahu’s B side is comparatively minimal, with subtle electronic layers lapping into the speakers like an impending tidal shift. Each side was tracked, performed, & mixed by the artist. The release was mastered by Andrew Horton.
NOTE: The digital copy of HSAL #29 includes a bonus track from each artist recorded in the same sessions as the cassette material.
AVAILABILITY: black shell c42, digital download (begins shipping 08/26)
ARTWORK: courtesy of HSAL; initial collage by Joanna McGlothlin
For the next (roughly) month or so, Lloyd Harmon is raising funds for the studio time that will translate into his HSAL debut. The goal is for the trio (Lloyd, Tyler, & Judah) to spend a week with Chris Schlarb in mid-July. From now until then, the trio will be playing shows in support of this effort. Additionally, Harmon will be seeking to convert interest into action from his fanbase & beyond via online crowdfunding.
Assuming you are familiar with Kickstarter, Harmon’s gift tiers for support are rather standard, except that you will be receiving one-of-a-kind visual & sonic art from LLOYD HARMON! To say this guy is on another plane is to understand his magic. Custom tees, exclusive access to live performances, & more are being offered up in exchange for assistance in making this record a reality…
Click here to be a part of Lloyd Harmon’s Kickstarter effort!
Your friendly neighborhood record label is near ecstatic to share our new lineup! Assuming you have been following us since the beginning, you have seen/heard records from TLVS & asentimentalsong (both acts were part of our 10″ series a few years back). No introductions needed there. Over the past year, honeybrandy has developed into an ethereal drone project all to itself (both Joey & Nathan are members of TLVS). On the strength of recent Lynchstock performances & sheer creative output, HSAL is uber-proud to welcome KillGXXD & Lloyd Harmon to the family. Both of these additions will be working on new releases over the summer months. For KillGXXD, it will be his first foray into live instrumentation as he partners with several folks from the Hill City musical scene. Lloyd Harmon, alongside of his stunning rhythm section, will be tracking material for a new EP with Chris Schlarb (countless collaborative recordings, the Psychic Temple being his most recent trend).
As we work through the back half of 2016, look for the following releases to surface:
- #29: honeybrandy/Oahu – (AUG/SEP) split cassette with each group presenting a single 20+ minute composition!
- #30: KillGXXD – (late winter/early spring) CDEP mixing original material & a choice cover or two…LIVE INSTRUMENTS!
- #31: Lloyd Harmon – (early fall) CDEP of “RA-K35H” material. Mainly the trio, but a few guests may sneak in!