for the past month or so, the newly reconstituted virgineola has been fleshing out the sounds & textures that will eventually be performed as part of the closing ceremonies to this year’s blue ridge summer theatre festival – a retelling of shakespeare’s “macbeth”. the band has taken from source material written by ringleader nathan mcglothlin & has fashioned a balance of minimal soundscapes & swooning melodies. the band is working feverishly to capture everything in the moment, demoing run-throughs & scripting out course changes from one musical passage to the next.
the shows themselves begin next month, running from july 6th through the 22nd, out at sweetbriar college. tickets, as well as a listing of the local breweries & vineyards that are sponsoring each show, are available for every performance here.
– White Laces: our RVA darlings are SUPER busy these days. they skipped SXSW in lieu of working out ideas for their upcoming full-length. they have been accepted to this year’s MACRoCk festival (04/06 & 07, harrisonburg va) & will be playing with the likes of creepoid, lower dens, & big troubles! they are currently playing shows in support of HSAL #17 & a recently released split 7″ with arches (worthless junk).
– Goodwill Falcon: in addition to a new track on the upcoming HSAL 12″ compilation & their recently released split CD single with rugby, the falcon are flying high with a new CDEP out through closing scene. this collection offers up the first recordings with the current lineup & features live favorites like “the comforter” & “before you yell”.
– TLVS: they made it back from SXSW in one piece! they will be playing out this spring in support of HSAL #16, which should be shipping out from the lab in the final days of march. joe & nathan are continuing to work out new ideas, building off of “eid mar”, which will appear on the upcoming 12″ comp. their self-imposed goal is to have a new record done by summer’s end.
– Virgineola: stripped down to a four piece (with the occasional guest), virgineola are actively working out sound ideas for their role in this summer’s re-telling of shakespeare’s macbeth. a recent performance to support endstation theatre’s upcoming season proved to be a successful test run for the new line up, as reverb drench banjo, electric drones, simple synth driven low-end, & brushed percussion echoed through sold out auditorium. highlights from their 2010 run with “hamlet” can still be downloaded for free here.
– asentimentalsong: j morgan is looking to play some shows this spring in support of his split 10″ with brooklyn’s guilty ghosts (HSAL #19). morgan’s other drone offering, parties, has a few copies of their “monster mash” cassette (courtesy of drone life) left over from their west coast tour that they would love for you to check out.
…now that we have crossed the unofficial threshold that is summer’s halfway point, your friendly neighborhood record label is getting into the thick of things! several things have been bubbling up both on & near our radar of late & we figured that it would make sense to sum them all up in one tidy presentation:
– white laces will be on the road more than they will be at home for the rest of the summer. they finish off this week/weekend in the northeast with philly’s arches, then will be spot dating it up throughout july & august, finishing off next month with TLVS. they are playing new material on all of these dates, including both sides of their new 7″ single, which is currently being shopped around. white laces are also finding time here & there to finish up tracking their half of HSAL #17, a split 10″ EP with fellow richmond rock outfit the snowy owls, which is due out later this fall.
– speaking of the snowy owls, matt, allen, & brandon have already turned in their homework for HSAL #17 (trust us, it’s their best sound to date!). while working on the 4 jams that will be on the 10″, they also put together another single, “yr eyes”, which is being released digitally next week. you can stream the title track here. the three piece is also gearing up for more of a live presence, sharing dates with the likes of the diamond center (whose most recent single has been hard-pressed to be torn from our turntable) & the no BS brass band.
– goodwill falcon & rugby are BOTH working on their next records. equally as great is that they are also working on their respective sides of HSAL #18 (you guessed it – another split 10″ EP on CLEAR WAX!!!). both groups are set to release an as of yet unreleased single on their sides. both groups are also planning on covering the other group! goodwill falcon will apply their pristine sound & casio-produced layers to a rugby classic. rugby, in turn, will dirty up a falcon tune with their spastic vocal delivery & sassy percussion. they’ve been tour mates a few times this year already, so HSAL #18 is the natural progression & we can’t wait to share this one with you all!
– virgineola is working on a phoenix like resurrection! being on somewhat of a hiatus since last fall, the ensemble is working towards a live score for another shakespeare production (you can download highlights from their work for endstation’s “hamlet” here). in the meantime, members of the group will be sitting in as accompaniment for other lynchburg based groups. as these different performances come to life, we will post them with the other live performances listings.
to any & all who were able to make it out for our label showcase this past friday night, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! we had a blast celebrating our one year anniversary with really good sets from herizon / virgineola, goodwill falcon, TLVS, & alaska! as the week rolls on, we hope to have video from these performances. the first of these videos features goodwill falcon performing “gameboy camera” from HSAL #05, which is now OUT OF PRINT (of course, the digital version of “private tones” is still available here)!
this weekend also saw a series of three album release shows for alaska: friday night as part of the HSAL birthday party, saturday night with local quirky popsters rugby, & a surprise set at the white hart on sunday night! the group’s self-titled debut LP has a street date of 11/16, but is moving fast! to compound the frenzy, the initial copies of the album we received from the plant were BLACK (not WHITE, as we set up for). we are working to resolve this issue & will end up with white 12″ versions of the album. if you are the collector type, you will want to make sure that you pick up a copy on BLACK vinyl while they are still available. once the pressing plant corrects this, we will only carry the WHITE vinyl copies. you can pick up a copy of the LP from us here or from the band directly as they show up all over the mid-atlantic in the coming weeks.
white laces will be releasing their debut 12″ through shdwply/whole ghost this winter. the group has graciously allowed to help celebrate the album with a special “harding street” edition. limited to 20 copies, these records will be on a different color vinyl than the whole ghost version. the artwork will also be unique to this edition. we will also be adding some things to the digital download. we hope to have these available after the new year…
virgineola was able to track some of the “hamlet” material between performances over the weekend. we mixed it down & assembled it into a FREE EP! it’s nearly a half hour worth of sounds that were recorded in the actual performance space for “hamlet”. the first five pieces were tracked live, while “(untitled)” is a live recording of the improvised session during the show’s intermission.
the heat of summer is quite oppressively upon us here at the lab. no doubt, you’ve been sweating it out as well. it’s been a harrowing few weeks, & we just had to pencil in a few moments to catch everyone up on our comings & goings…
UPDATES: august’s infamous dog days of summer should be carrying our most recent releases in tow. first off, the somewhat long-awaited (some of you preordered this record back in may) 12″ LP from TLVS, “porcelain“, should be back from presses. we have had a right hectic go with this one, as it’s the first time we have ever been held up due to potential copyright issues. it stemmed from a clip that the group harvested from a 1979 national geographic flexi-disc 7”. all that behind us now, we are excited to FINALLY be shipping out copies of this limited edition first pressing (100 copies on marbled vinyl!!!) the artwork was printed by sire press. if you are looking for reasonable prices on VERY HIGH QUALITY print jobs, they’re going to be one of your best bets (DISCLAIMER: no payments were made by sire press or any agent thereunto for this comment). our other upcoming release will be a CAVE DRUMS / ommacobba & the east side marijuana band split cassette. all of the artwork for this one is courtesy of the condon brothers, who, in addition to comprising CAVE DRUMS, are up & coming film makers.
LIVE DATES: virgineola is getting ready to take on 10 performances of their score to endstation theatre’s retelling of “hamlet“. the group played a benefit show for the theatre this past weekend. you can see a short video from that performance here. these shows seem to be the biggest undertaking for our favorite little group of local musical all-stars. to celebrate, the group has put together a CD-R of demos from the show. it’s called “ghosts of the river appomattox” & features 40 minutes of music from the group as well as screen printed artwork by joanna. the group is also looking to record some of these shows in the hopes of putting out a digital release based on “hamlet”. additionally, TLVS will be playing with norfolk’s long division on the 24th at rivermont pizza. that show should prove a cinematic rock dream come true!
WRITE UPS: virgineola’s involvement in “hamlet” is catching some press traffic locally. if you call our town your town, pick up a copy of the burg this week. in addition, the lynchburg news & advance has picked up the article. you can read that here. TLVS’ new record received a really favorable write-up from jason over at 7 inches. he has recently begun a forum to cover releases in different formats (video, digital, other sizes of vinyl, etc.). you can read his eloquent waxing here.
it was only a handful of days ago that HSAL #02 was gracing the front page of “7 inches” a brooklyn based blog that concentrates its time & efforts on the current surge of vinyl specific release. this time around, our first record (HSAL #01, the herizon/virgineola split 7″) is given the red carpet treatment. you can read all about it here. word on the street is that our little ol’ label will be featured on an upcoming episode of their podcast…
in semi-related news, virgineola will be performing the entire b-side to HSAL #01, as well as many pieces that will end up in this summer’s score for endstation theatre company’s reworking of “hamlet“, friday, the 5th @ rivermont pizza.
we have received word of a special improv performance by many parts of the harding street family. tomorrow night (thrusday, 02/04), “vespers” (featuring members of TLVS, virgineola, pier 19, & the hundred acre band) will be performing. the evening is being set up as a way to get business to our dear friends at the good cherry in forest. the good cherry, like most independently owned shops, have been hit hard by the recent weather phenomenon.
this evening is going the community’s chance to get in there & spend some local money on some local business!
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 4th
@ THE GOOD CHERRY (14805 forest rd, 24551)
– RAYMOND BUCKNER (local singer/songwriter)
– VESPERS (our fave local improv musician types)
MUSIC SHOULD BEGIN AT 630P & RUN ‘TIL CLOSING
NO COVER – BUY DRINKS!
the good cherry will be running all sorts of specials, so there’s no excuse not to get something.
well, that’s it…spread the word & we’ll see you at the show tomorrow night.
…so, the new year is only a weekend old & HSAL has already begun to make progress in 2010! first off, TLVS has continued working on their upcoming full length, entitled “porcelain”. so far, the album is about 85% completed, with the final pieces slated to come together by valentine’s day. the album has seen some progress in the duo’s output, with three new pieces that, to date, have never been played in a live setting. word is that some of this new material will find its way into their set at the end of the month, when they share an evening with cj boyd. we are hoping to have the 12″ wrapped up & ready to head off to the press in april.
virgineola, who are working on the b side to their upcoming split 7″ with the cj boyd sextet, have been offered the chance to score “hamlet”…well, sort of. as a part of their annual summer festival season, endstation theatre company have taken on the task of retelling the classic shakespearean tale through the filter of southern reconstruction era farm life. the group will not only be assembling music for the show, they will be performing as a part of the performance. this paring of professional theater & the group’s rustic post-rock vibe is already shaping up to be something really special. we are crossing our fingers on the ability to bootleg this one!
finally, we are looking to put together a small series of digital only releases that feature some of the fantastic work we are hearing from ’round our parts. our hope is to continue building on the fertile soil that our community has become. if you, or some artist you know, calls central virginia or north carolina home, & you want to get in on this series, hit us up – email@example.com.
while the lab is a vehicle for our artists to produce traditional recordings, we are always jazzed to promote the creative process, be it through live performance or through demoing new ideas. the attached mp3’s feature music from some of our current artists:
– herizon, “all gone” (from HSAL 01 7″)
“All Gone” – Herizon
– TLVS, “heather majestic purple” (live from a set @ the good cherry, 06/03/09)
Heather Majestic Purple (live) – TLVS
– virgineola, “ordinary” (live from a 07/09/09 rehearsal & writing session)
“Ordinary” (live) – Virgineola
as 2010 gets under way, look for more live tracks, demos, & other exclusive songs from the harding street assembly lab!