HSAL #21: various artists, HSAL compilation #3 12″ LP $8 (+ shpng)
this is HSAL’s third mid-atlantic based compilation & our first one to take shape in a physical form. the goal of these compilations (HSAL #08, #12, & now #21) is to pair our stable of artists with great sounds from regional based like-minded acts. our reasoning behind a physical release on this comp is simple – we wanted to help good bands fill merch tables with great sounds. while we can’t sign every great band we hear, we can offer this small token of our appreciation for their work.
brand new jams from oulipo, the snowy owls, goodwill falcon, TLVS, & white laces…great sounds from the diamond center, borrowed beams of light, top girls, rugby, matt northrup, maxfield alan háag, & nelly kate!
AVAILABILITY: two-tone marbled vinyl + digital download, run of 300
ARTWORK: courtesy of matthew klimas
HSAL #17: white laces / the snowy owls split 10″ EP $15 PPD
*this is the second of our split 10″ series. the idea is to feature one of our own on the A side, with a friend of the label holding down the B side.*
this RVA centric release showcases some of the finest tunes from the current live set of white laces. the lead single, “hands in mexico”, was leaked online & taken to by just about every hip east coast blog. the rest of the A side leans towards new potential for the four piece. capital city up & comers the snowy owls turn in their own super hot single (“could”, featuring a killer boy/girl call & response chorus), as well as three other scorchers from their live set, which has been earning the group great shows around the mid-atlantic for nearly a year.
AVAILABILITY: marbled brown vinyl + digital download, limited run of 100
ARTWORK: jacket courtesy of HSAL, insert courtesy of the artists
…now that we have crossed the unofficial threshold that is summer’s halfway point, your friendly neighborhood record label is getting into the thick of things! several things have been bubbling up both on & near our radar of late & we figured that it would make sense to sum them all up in one tidy presentation:
– white laces will be on the road more than they will be at home for the rest of the summer. they finish off this week/weekend in the northeast with philly’s arches, then will be spot dating it up throughout july & august, finishing off next month with TLVS. they are playing new material on all of these dates, including both sides of their new 7″ single, which is currently being shopped around. white laces are also finding time here & there to finish up tracking their half of HSAL #17, a split 10″ EP with fellow richmond rock outfit the snowy owls, which is due out later this fall.
– speaking of the snowy owls, matt, allen, & brandon have already turned in their homework for HSAL #17 (trust us, it’s their best sound to date!). while working on the 4 jams that will be on the 10″, they also put together another single, “yr eyes”, which is being released digitally next week. you can stream the title track here. the three piece is also gearing up for more of a live presence, sharing dates with the likes of the diamond center (whose most recent single has been hard-pressed to be torn from our turntable) & the no BS brass band.
– goodwill falcon & rugby are BOTH working on their next records. equally as great is that they are also working on their respective sides of HSAL #18 (you guessed it – another split 10″ EP on CLEAR WAX!!!). both groups are set to release an as of yet unreleased single on their sides. both groups are also planning on covering the other group! goodwill falcon will apply their pristine sound & casio-produced layers to a rugby classic. rugby, in turn, will dirty up a falcon tune with their spastic vocal delivery & sassy percussion. they’ve been tour mates a few times this year already, so HSAL #18 is the natural progression & we can’t wait to share this one with you all!
– virgineola is working on a phoenix like resurrection! being on somewhat of a hiatus since last fall, the ensemble is working towards a live score for another shakespeare production (you can download highlights from their work for endstation’s “hamlet” here). in the meantime, members of the group will be sitting in as accompaniment for other lynchburg based groups. as these different performances come to life, we will post them with the other live performances listings.
…whew! halloween is tomorrow & we are too busy to even don costumes this time around. instead of leaving a bowl of candy on our porch, we figured we would catch you up on what we have going on at the lab:
– HSAL #10, the self-titled debut LP from our most recent signing, alaska, is just about done. we are running into a bit of a hold up from the presses, but we still hope to have copies ready to ship out on tuesday, november 9th. if you will be in lynchburg next weekend, alaska will be celebrating the album’s release down at rivermont pizza (2496 rivermont ave, 24503). also performing will be local skewed pop duo rugby, who are currently finishing up songs for a cassette they will be self-releasing (perhaps our first foray into distro?)…alaska is also setting up to finish the calendar year playing shows around virginia & north carolina.
– on the cusp of their first live performance, herizon is has filled out with virgineola serving as the session musicians. in addition to this performance (part of our 1st year anniversary showcase – 11/12 @ the muse830 in midtown!!! – see poster below), tim & kim are working on a one-sided LP that will feature a collection of herizon works on the A side & an etching by a friend of the label on the B side…
– last year, joe from TLVS & our friend pd wilder of hotel hotel sat down & tracked a 30 minute, 2 guitar drone piece. after the original tracking, nathan from TLVS assembled a noise collage to “complete” the piece. the result is “the trail at blackwater creek”. we will be releasing a small run C-30 cassette (HSAL #13) for this piece. look for that around the start of the new year.
– we are putting together another digital comp! as with the first comp we did back in the spring, this collection will feature unreleased work by our artists (herizon, TLVS, white laces, goodwill falcon, & more) as well as by friends of the label, both new & old (the snowy owls, rugby, evenings, & more). our hope is that this collection, HSAL #12, will be released around the holidays.