Buds are blooming across our beloved hill city, we are gearing up for lots of cool shows happening downtown. These dates are going down at Speakertree (901 Jefferson St #G7, 24504)
We are also working on a local date to celebrate the release of the new Opin EP (HSAL #43), which is still available for pre-order. Inventory counts are getting low on this one. If you are into this brand of interesting, catch indie rock (if you’re reading this, you most likely are), don’t wait for the 04/20 release date…
…oh, & if you happen to be out east this weekend, honeybrandy & Benjamin Mauch are playing a right killer showcase for the ninth annual SPAZZ Fest in downtown Greenville NC on Sunday, 03/25.
As for other “stuff”, we are working on something really rad for this fall. Let’s just say that HSAL is hoping to be a big part of what has become a local hallmark as the leaves begin to change…more on that later.
If you’ve already ordered your copy of HSAL #42, your copies will leave our hands with Monday’s post. Perhaps you’ll find the additional goodies to your liking…
If you haven’t scored a copy of the new split b/t KillGXXD & Irving, there are a few ways to do so:
- Tomorrow night (Saturday, 02/24) @ Speakertree (Lynchburg VA). KillGXXD has turned his appearance into both a release & “going away” party. KillGXXD’s about to escape our fair Hill City for the confines of the Garden State. This will be the last time to catch our fella as a “local”.
- Pre-order the cassette from our bandcamp page. The full release drops on Friday, 03/03, but all orders are shipping now!
We’ve arrived at that time of the year where “holidays” are (not so subtly) creeping into the collective consciousness. November hold quite a bit in store for your friendly neighborhood record label. Here are some of the yarns being spun in our camp:
– honeybrandy are heading to the left coast to cut their next record with much lauded engineer & HSAL friend Chris Schlarb at Big Ego in Long Beach, CA. They will be partnering with some heavy hitters from the free jazz world for this full length. in the coming year, look for Joey & Nathan to present this material in live settings featuring horn players from the right coast to round out the textures.
– Our next release will be a digital mixtape, courtesy of resident chameleon Lloyd Harmon. “Mima’s Mixtapes, Volume 1” (HSAL #35) promises to be a wild ride, with influences all over the map. Look for the mixtape to drop via bandcamp on November 22nd.
– JUST CONFIRMED! TLVS will be playing at Speakertree with Comrades & everett on Tuesday, November 8th! Get out & VOTE (!!!!) then come blow off some steam with some rad acts.
– We have curated a new mix on our soundcloud page. It features lots of vibe & atmosphere from most everyone in the HSAL nuclear family. All 36 minutes are available to stream in the player below…
Thanks to the most recent endeavor of purchasing & running a record shop / performance space (has it been a year & a half already?), your friendly neighborhood record label has been practically dormant since the summer of 2012. As 2013 comes to an end, we are finally at a place where creative juices are not just flowing, but eroding away layers of schedule conflicts, restlessness, & apathy. In 2014, we hope to bring you some of the commonwealth’s more engaging projects including (but not limited to):
* TLVS (Lynchburg): Joe & Nathan have been playing shows, booking shows, tackling solo projects, helping bands get off the ground, & more since 2012’s home recorded split 10″ with Norfolk’s Long Division. With time comes maturity, & the new record is a testament to the energy that the duet has been creating on stage for quite some time. The new LP, tentatively entitled “I Can Dream All Day”, will be the band’s first opportunity to work with other people on a project (the album is being tracked & mixed with Jon Anderson at Whalehead in Virginia Beach). Expect recent live favorites (“TV-MA-LSV”, “Claire Kincaid”) to ebb & flow alongside of newer, more frenetic compositions.