we have been watching this duo grow into a right decent pop group in the past year or so. they have been touring the mid-atlantic in support of their self-released cassette for several months, & are getting material together an upcoming record (due out this fall). for now, check out these live tracks, bootlegged by joe & nathan (TLVS) back on mother’s day weekend! we think this is just enough to get the appetite up!
…holy wow! april is shaping up to one of the wildest months in HSAL history. here’s all of our recent comings & goings:
– first off, our music groups have been taking on high marks of late:
TLVS: click here for a review of their 03/26/11 date in greenville nc!
white laces: click here for a review of their 03/24/11 show in richmond va!
– white laces will be wrapping up their spring gauntlet with a few dates around the commonwealth this month. information on shows in roanoke & lynchburg can be found here. from here, the laces are working out new material for upcoming releases through the lab (one of the split 10”s) & richmond based the acme thunderer (7”).
– joe morgan’s asentimentalsong has been showing up as the accompaniment piece to austin based duet more states as they work through the mid-atlantic portion of their tour. while the performances have been something special, the spirit of this new dynamic is being captured this week at joe’s house. lord willin’ & the creek don’t rise; we will be able to release some of this material in the coming months…
– fresh off their “spring fling” tour, TLVS are looking for any & all still shots & moving pictures of from their performances. if you or someone you know has any such material please get in contact with the group: email@example.com. the band did some capturing of their own & will be editing/compiling/releasing those wares soon. they are also in the throes of working out summer dates with long division & white laces!
– alaska are calling it quits. in a very mercurial fashion, the lynchburg based trio came on the scene, burned bright & burned fast. they will be missed. a memorial service (read: final performance) has been scheduled for may 13th at our town’s late night haunt, rivermont pizza. they are also putting together a few more dates around town, which can be found here.
quick sunday afternoon update to catch everyone up on where & what the lab is into this week:
– herizon is performing their first live set EVER!!! this friday, as part of the HSAL label showcase & birthday party, tim & kim are performing a few tunes. they will be accompanied by virgineola, who will be sharing the opening set with them. FYI – these days, virgineola is a five piece made up of keys, percussion, electric guitars, & violin. should prove MAGICAL! here’s a live take on “cave drums”, one of our favorite herizon tunes to date…
– alaska’s self-titled debut LP is being prepped for release as you read this. we are excited to finally get these sounds to your ears. we have moved the release date back by a week, with the release show happening this saturday @ rivermont pizza. also appearing will be local wiedro-pop duo rugby.
…whew! halloween is tomorrow & we are too busy to even don costumes this time around. instead of leaving a bowl of candy on our porch, we figured we would catch you up on what we have going on at the lab:
– HSAL #10, the self-titled debut LP from our most recent signing, alaska, is just about done. we are running into a bit of a hold up from the presses, but we still hope to have copies ready to ship out on tuesday, november 9th. if you will be in lynchburg next weekend, alaska will be celebrating the album’s release down at rivermont pizza (2496 rivermont ave, 24503). also performing will be local skewed pop duo rugby, who are currently finishing up songs for a cassette they will be self-releasing (perhaps our first foray into distro?)…alaska is also setting up to finish the calendar year playing shows around virginia & north carolina.
– on the cusp of their first live performance, herizon is has filled out with virgineola serving as the session musicians. in addition to this performance (part of our 1st year anniversary showcase – 11/12 @ the muse830 in midtown!!! – see poster below), tim & kim are working on a one-sided LP that will feature a collection of herizon works on the A side & an etching by a friend of the label on the B side…
– last year, joe from TLVS & our friend pd wilder of hotel hotel sat down & tracked a 30 minute, 2 guitar drone piece. after the original tracking, nathan from TLVS assembled a noise collage to “complete” the piece. the result is “the trail at blackwater creek”. we will be releasing a small run C-30 cassette (HSAL #13) for this piece. look for that around the start of the new year.
– we are putting together another digital comp! as with the first comp we did back in the spring, this collection will feature unreleased work by our artists (herizon, TLVS, white laces, goodwill falcon, & more) as well as by friends of the label, both new & old (the snowy owls, rugby, evenings, & more). our hope is that this collection, HSAL #12, will be released around the holidays.
first, a huge “THANK YOU” to any & all who made it out to the good cherry last night. we were able to help out the venue in a big way. we are hoping that all of the winter weather is over & done with by the 19th, when they host local indie rock stars quick on my feet & williamsburg’s goodwill falcon.
second, the good word on our first records seem to be coming from parts near & far. we have just received another favorable review of HSAL #02 from mid-atlantic art critic blog the zenith. you can read the entire write up here.
finally, we are still keeping finger crossed on the TLVS show with charlottesville’s astronomers this saturday night. this date, 02/06 @ rivermont pizza, is a rescheduled show from december’s snowstorm. as we get details on this show, we will keep you informed…