(clockwise from top left: Leaaves, Oahu, honeybrandy w/ friends)
Thanks to social media & news coverage, it’s common knowledge that Lynchstock 2017 started as a dream & ended in a washout. While we can’t change the opinion of everyone who blasted festival management, we can CERTAINLY share ours here.
Before the heaviest of the storms hit, the “Water Dog” stage played host to a collection of acts curated by HSAL. Oahu started the afternoon off with a pleasing tapestry of minimal electronic textures. Next up was NC’s Leavves. Flying his school colors (by draping his UNC jacket across the front of his set up), Nate Wagner captured onlookers with a noise-tinged ambiance. By the time honeybrandy took the stage, dark clouds were pushing in from the west. The stage tent was packed for a wonderful set that included their Cocteau Twins cover. With minutes left in their set, local police shut down the festival & forced everyone off the park grounds. As a result, our good buddy Benjamin Mauch‘s set was cancelled.
Across the street in the Glass House, Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon led a full band in front of a full house. a few hundred were treated with a chance to dry off & drink in Harmon’s soulful croon.
APPENDIX: Although not officially tied to the label, Quick On My Feet put on a killer set of late 90’s throwback indie rock (think Get Up Kids or the more less depressing acts from Deep Elm) on the stage next door to ours. Oh, & the “new to us ’cause we’re late to the party” award goes to Captain Pizza. That guy…
HUGE PROPS to everyone involved in making the festival happen. No doubt the weeks ahead will be as frustrating (if not moreso) for the Lynchstock team. While many of the planned festivities were unable to be shared, what did happen on April 22nd, 2017 was right magical. Keep your chins up, alright?
Last night, honeybrandy provided audio accompaniment to the gallery opening for Jillian Clark‘s “Preliminary Ceremonies” show. Huge thanks to Kim, Vic, & the rest of the crew down at Riverviews Artspace for inviting Joey & Nathan out for September’s “First Fridays” event. The duet’s next performance will be opening for Beth Austin’s photography exhibit down in Norfolk. Details on that show & all upcoming sets from HSAL acts may be found beyond the “live performances” link in our menu to the left of this article.
(photo courtesy of honeybrandy)
Your friendly neighborhood record label is near ecstatic to share our new lineup! Assuming you have been following us since the beginning, you have seen/heard records from TLVS & asentimentalsong (both acts were part of our 10″ series a few years back). No introductions needed there. Over the past year, honeybrandy has developed into an ethereal drone project all to itself (both Joey & Nathan are members of TLVS). On the strength of recent Lynchstock performances & sheer creative output, HSAL is uber-proud to welcome KillGXXD & Lloyd Harmon to the family. Both of these additions will be working on new releases over the summer months. For KillGXXD, it will be his first foray into live instrumentation as he partners with several folks from the Hill City musical scene. Lloyd Harmon, alongside of his stunning rhythm section, will be tracking material for a new EP with Chris Schlarb (countless collaborative recordings, the Psychic Temple being his most recent trend).
As we work through the back half of 2016, look for the following releases to surface:
- #29: honeybrandy/Oahu – (AUG/SEP) split cassette with each group presenting a single 20+ minute composition!
- #30: KillGXXD – (late winter/early spring) CDEP mixing original material & a choice cover or two…LIVE INSTRUMENTS!
- #31: Lloyd Harmon – (early fall) CDEP of “RA-K35H” material. Mainly the trio, but a few guests may sneak in!
Your friendly neighborhood record label couldn’t be more thrilled with what is happening in our fair Hill City these days. As you read this, we are finalizing details on our next batch of new releases. Look for the HSAL family to grow in wonderful ways. Oh, it will also be our first official forays into CD’s. STAY TUNED!
As we prepare for the fourth annual Lynchstock Music Festival, we thought it high time to catch eager readers up on different things that are happening under our roof:
- TLVS is working out a solid set for their appearance on the Lynchstock “Discover” stage. They will be playing at 1230P – sandwiched between local rock outfits Arson’s Harbor & FIN. We are so proud to have the fellas representing not only our family but the Hill City’s penchant for interesting, engaging rock music.
- Joanna has really gone over the top on prepping art for the festival. Not only has she designed the “Discover” stage visuals (including a special edition bass drum head for the backline!), she’s taken to creating an eight foot wide flag for TLVS to fly during the afternoon. If you get any pictures of her work, be sure to tag it “#HSALart” on social media.
- We have just confirmed a split cassette release between honeybrandy & Oahu, a solo drone project from Todd Webb (Toddbot, Seamonster)! The cassette will be a single composition from each act (honeybrandy on the A side, oahu on the B side). Both acts are looking to submit their recordings this spring, with a late summer release date. If all goes to plan, HSAL will be setting up a pair of release shows – one in each acts hometown (Lynchburg & Virginia Beach, respectively).
Some awesome things go down in our hometown ’round this time each year. Have been for the past few years now. Next month, the fourth annual Lynchstock Music Festival will be taking place at Benjamin’s out in neighboring Forest, VA. How is HSAL involved? SO GLAD YOU ASKED!
- TLVS will be playing again this year! Joe, Joey & Nathan will be pushing the sonic boundaries of festival goers with their brand of instrumental rock action. Word is they will be playing some new material that may or may not surface later this year.
- HSAL has been asked to assist by running one of the stages this year! While there are a lot of efforts coming together for this story, the short version is that Joanna’s artwork will be the backdrop for the stage. We will be building a multi-layered presentation based on Joanna’s recent gelli prints. We are SUPREMELY THRILLED at the prospect of Joanna’s work photobombing pics of everyone’s favorite bands…
We here at the lab wanted to thank everyone for support across social media, streaming media, physical media, & (MOST IMPORTANTLY) live media! To celebrate, we’ve redone the look & feel of our site. We’ve curated a new HSAL sampler on soundcloud. We’ve begun booking more shows around our hometown & abroad! Here’s where you can see us in the coming weeks:
HONEYBRANDY: 01/08 @ Riverviews Artspace
– Playing the opening of Tuo Wang’s “Chorus” installation
ASENTIMENTALSONG: 01/22 @ The Academy Center Of The Arts
– Opening for Lloyd Harmon & JULIANNA BARWICK!!!
TLVS: 02/19 @ The Cave (Chapel Hill NC)
– Playing with The Band & The Beat
TLVS: 02/20 @ Speakertree
– Playing with The Band & The Beat
We’re looking forward to seeing new recordings by spoken word artist Mike Tannian, honeybrandy, and a few others in the coming months. Oh, & there’s still that remix EP that TLVS set up with our Swedish brethren at red star community.