(clockwise from top left: Leaaves, Oahu, honeybrandy w/ friends)
Thanks to social media & news coverage, it’s common knowledge that Lynchstock 2017 started as a dream & ended in a washout. While we can’t change the opinion of everyone who blasted festival management, we can CERTAINLY share ours here.
Before the heaviest of the storms hit, the “Water Dog” stage played host to a collection of acts curated by HSAL. Oahu started the afternoon off with a pleasing tapestry of minimal electronic textures. Next up was NC’s Leavves. Flying his school colors (by draping his UNC jacket across the front of his set up), Nate Wagner captured onlookers with a noise-tinged ambiance. By the time honeybrandy took the stage, dark clouds were pushing in from the west. The stage tent was packed for a wonderful set that included their Cocteau Twins cover. With minutes left in their set, local police shut down the festival & forced everyone off the park grounds. As a result, our good buddy Benjamin Mauch‘s set was cancelled.
Across the street in the Glass House, Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon led a full band in front of a full house. a few hundred were treated with a chance to dry off & drink in Harmon’s soulful croon.
APPENDIX: Although not officially tied to the label, Quick On My Feet put on a killer set of late 90’s throwback indie rock (think Get Up Kids or the more less depressing acts from Deep Elm) on the stage next door to ours. Oh, & the “new to us ’cause we’re late to the party” award goes to Captain Pizza. That guy…
HUGE PROPS to everyone involved in making the festival happen. No doubt the weeks ahead will be as frustrating (if not moreso) for the Lynchstock team. While many of the planned festivities were unable to be shared, what did happen on April 22nd, 2017 was right magical. Keep your chins up, alright?
As we prepare for the fourth annual Lynchstock Music Festival, we thought it high time to catch eager readers up on different things that are happening under our roof:
- TLVS is working out a solid set for their appearance on the Lynchstock “Discover” stage. They will be playing at 1230P – sandwiched between local rock outfits Arson’s Harbor & FIN. We are so proud to have the fellas representing not only our family but the Hill City’s penchant for interesting, engaging rock music.
- Joanna has really gone over the top on prepping art for the festival. Not only has she designed the “Discover” stage visuals (including a special edition bass drum head for the backline!), she’s taken to creating an eight foot wide flag for TLVS to fly during the afternoon. If you get any pictures of her work, be sure to tag it “#HSALart” on social media.
- We have just confirmed a split cassette release between honeybrandy & Oahu, a solo drone project from Todd Webb (Toddbot, Seamonster)! The cassette will be a single composition from each act (honeybrandy on the A side, oahu on the B side). Both acts are looking to submit their recordings this spring, with a late summer release date. If all goes to plan, HSAL will be setting up a pair of release shows – one in each acts hometown (Lynchburg & Virginia Beach, respectively).
Some awesome things go down in our hometown ’round this time each year. Have been for the past few years now. Next month, the fourth annual Lynchstock Music Festival will be taking place at Benjamin’s out in neighboring Forest, VA. How is HSAL involved? SO GLAD YOU ASKED!
- TLVS will be playing again this year! Joe, Joey & Nathan will be pushing the sonic boundaries of festival goers with their brand of instrumental rock action. Word is they will be playing some new material that may or may not surface later this year.
- HSAL has been asked to assist by running one of the stages this year! While there are a lot of efforts coming together for this story, the short version is that Joanna’s artwork will be the backdrop for the stage. We will be building a multi-layered presentation based on Joanna’s recent gelli prints. We are SUPREMELY THRILLED at the prospect of Joanna’s work photobombing pics of everyone’s favorite bands…
We’ve worked out a really cool opportunity to join in on the Lynchstock festivities next month! As you all (should) know, TLVS will be playing the festival again this year. It should prove to be a wild ride, as Joe & Nathan are working on some special guests to assist them in performing a track the new record for the first time!
The new news is that HSAL has been given the honor of starting the whole day off! We have curated a pre-show stage that will be set up at the entrance gate to the festival grounds. We are going to have HSAL friends & family perform short sets leading up to the gates opening at 12P. We’ve confirmed sets by asentimentalsong (Joe from TLVS), DJP & Mr. T (featuring Jackie from Wyteshayds), & Seamonster (who will be releasing an ambient set on cassette/digital with HSAL this summer)!