The next time it’s Thursday, it will also be Thanksgiving Day here in the U.S. of A. It’s got us thinking about all the cool things that have happened in 2018 ’round the HSAL camp…
We sponsored an entire stage & were able to land most of our active roster in one place on one day! Super special thanks to Xenith & Wesley Montgomery for joining in on the party. It was cool to see all the band merch, talk to fans of the different bands, & share in celebrating all the wonderful rock action stirring up in the Commonwealth these days.
Clockwise from top left: L.A.Dies, Good Dog Nigel, Wesley Montgomery, Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon, TLVS
Processed with VSCO with acg preset
Processed with VSCO with c9 preset
Processed with VSCO with acg preset
Processed with VSCO with acg preset
All band photos courtesy of Nick Scheetz.
ALL THE NEW RELEASES!
Since January, HSAL has dropped 8 releases, including two 12″ EP’s, two cassettes, three digital releases, & a compilation CD featuring current LYH covering historic LYH.
In addition to these “official” releases, HSAL acts dropped live tracks, partnered with other rad labels on records, expanded their own brand into new parts of the country via touring, blog reviews & a general spirit of comradery.
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
With 2018 not quite in the books, we are lining up guests for our yearly “Last Year” series. Over the holidays, we will have a handful of HSAL family share five things that inspired them in 2018. Each time we do this, it proves to be intriguing & eye-opening as bands, engineers, managers, & the like talk about what drove them to all the wonderful work they shared in the past 12 months.
2019? Well, we are still hammering out details, but it looks like we have secured HSAL #48 & #49. Look for details on those records to drop before Groundhog’s Day. next year will also mark the 10th anniversary of the Harding Street Assembly Lab. To celebrate, we are working with some Hill City friends to do something special…
October’s been GREAT! Lynchstock turned out to be everything we could have hoped for. Thanks to all the people who caught our acts, bought our records, took RAD photos/videos & shared them across social media. We should have a festival recap up soon (waiting on imagery from our staff photographers…).
The month capped off with the release of HSAL #46, which is the latest EP from Norfolk’s You’re Jovian. A quick east coast tour to support the record ended with a celebration down in their hometown. local support Berries, labelmates TLVS & HSAL alums Long Division filled out the bill for a wonderful evening. We were able to capture a moment from the show…
Up next, honeybrandy is doing a couple of shows this weekend with Philly space music vets Soporus:
A few days after all the election results are in, we’ll be throwing a small house show featuring asentimentalsong (Joe from TLVS) & our great buddy Andrew Weathers. Stay tuned for details…
Quick update on the comings & goings ’round the HSAL camp:
HSAL #46: You’re Jovian, “The Sound Of Who We Are” (12″/DIG)
Street Date: 10/19/2018
Stream the title track & grip your one-sided, clear wax 12″ today! Pre-orders will ship our before the release date with some additional HSAL goodies! NOTE: The digital copy will also include a bonus EP’s work of jams from Elliott’s treasure trove of demos & outtakes.
YOU’RE JOVIAN TOUR DATES
– 10/17: Ortliebs (Philadelphia PA) w/ Aster More, Dulls
– 10/18: Gold Sounds (Brooklyn NY) w Veda Rays, Weird Owls, Gracie Mansion
– 10/19: Little Grille (Harrisonburg VA) w Shormey, Bees
– 10/20: Lynchstock Music Festival (Lynchburg VA) w/ L.A. Dies, TLVS, Good Dog Nigel
– 10/27: Toast (Norfolk VA) w/ TLVS, Long Division, Berries
Lynchstock is less than two weeks out & we’re getting really psyched! We have worked out some really neat visual effects to accompany the killer acts that will grace the Harding Street Assembly Stage (see schedule below). Additionally, we are working with the artists to set up a shop at our merch tent. You’ll be able to score HSAL titles on the cheap during the festival. Rumor has it that one lucky fan will win an HSAL “care package” (TEN of our latest releases including vinyl, CD’s & cassettes) from your friendly neighborhood record label…
Tickets (including VIP access) are on sale now! Hope to see TONS of friends there.
TL;DR – HSAL’s stage at Lynchstock is gonna be BANANAS!
Your friendly neighborhood record label has taken significant efforts to support underground rock action in the Old Dominion. This year, we are upping our game! As you (hopefully) know, 2018 has proven to be the biggest year in the label’s history, releasing two cassette-based collaborations (HSAL #41 & #42), three digital pieces (HSAL #40, #45, & #47), & a pair of one-sided 12″ EP’s (HSAL #43 & #46). Next month, we are sponsoring one of the stages at our hometown’s biggest party – the Lynchstock Music Festival! After partnering with Festival leaders to curate the day’s lineup & designing the look of the stage (which we are supremely thrilled to see in real life), the time has come to reveal the Harding Street Assembly Stage:
- XENITH (1200P): The band is anchored by a brother/sister duo. The sound plays out like an entry-level course in post-hippie rock music. They name drop heavy hitters when asked for influences, but a discerning ear will hear a bit of pre-“Nevermind” college rock stirred into their post-grunge melodies.
- WESLEY MONTGOMERY (100P): Mr. Montgomery first caught our attention when he opened for Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon at the Cemetery Chapel for the recording of HSAL #39. When backed by a band, there’s a Pacific Northwest vibe a la Death Cab. When left to his own devices, there’s an even more sincere attack that utilizes the space between notes as much as conventional (READ: exceptional) lyrical prose.
- L.A.DIES (200P): Indie rock trio makes good on their look – EVERYTHING about these three is ripe with positive vibes. Recent tours & recordings have found a lean away from “party” and toward “community”. Gone are the days of sloppy covers. In it’s place is a maturity akin to the female voices that diversified labels like Teen Beat & Dischord many moons ago.
- TLVS (300P): “The Late Virginia Summers” have been with HSAL since it’s inception (HSAL #02 was a TLVS 7″ single) & show no signs of slowing down. Vocal-free rock music with strong leanings toward post-rock & (dare we say) jazz experimentation. We’ve never seen a TLVS set that didn’t leave onlookers with a sense of “what just happened” in the best imaginable way.
- YOU’RE JOVIAN (410P): YJ is the brainchild/love child of Norfolk’s Elliott Malvas, who first shared his 21st century vision of the noisy 90’s with the Hill City several years back. With age comes maturity & YJ’s sound is no different. Opting to dive deeper into influence rather than spring from the well of invention, Malvas honed his songcraft, partnering with solid engineers (Mark Padgett, Jeff Zeigler) on record after record. His latest, a 12″ EP which drops at the festival, may be his best yet!
- JEREMIAH LLOYD HARMON (530P): In an alternate universe, every speaker Jeremiah’s voice pushed through would instantly turn to gold. In this world, Harmon’s been crooning his way into hearts, both as a solo artist & as BGV’s on some rather significant records since the earlier years of the decade. Though he’s moved back to the Terrapin state, Jeremiah’s work, including his most recent single, “Learn To Love” continues to find a home with us.
- GOOD DOG NIGEL (650P): To watch a rock star birthed out of a scene is a many splendored thing. While in his (very) early 20’s, Parker Emeigh has invented a persona not only for the stage, but for quality recorded efforts. The breezy nature of Captured Tracks with the goofy earnest of classic K twee all tucked in under signature central VA garage glory. Did we mention that the new EP was done with consummate commonwealth rocker Thomas Dean (Invisible Hand, New Boss)?
We will have a complete HSAL shop going on in the merch area, complete with deals on records & apparel. This will be the first time for many to score the new You’re Jovian 12″ EP among other things. We are also working with our artists to spend time at the HSAL shop so you can connect with our tribe.
Tickets for the festival start at only $25 (SUPER REASONABLE!) are are on sale now!
Hope to see you all on October 20th!