we are super jazzed to finally have these together! as soon as the ink dries on the front cover art for the rest of HSAL #16, we will be shipping all pre-orders. we will be throwing some extras in each package as a way of saying thanks for the obscene amount of patience we have required of you.
up next on the HSAL docket (in case you hadn’t heard) is the debut release from a long time friend of the lab, herizon. oh, & our next compilation, HSAL #21, which should be arriving from the presses soon. oh, & we are working on an “event” for the fall semester that should include most every HSAL artist as well as a dozen or so additional hand-picked acts…STAY TUNED!
HSAL #17: white laces / the snowy owls split 10″ EP $15 PPD
*this is the second of our split 10″ series. the idea is to feature one of our own on the A side, with a friend of the label holding down the B side.*
this RVA centric release showcases some of the finest tunes from the current live set of white laces. the lead single, “hands in mexico”, was leaked online & taken to by just about every hip east coast blog. the rest of the A side leans towards new potential for the four piece. capital city up & comers the snowy owls turn in their own super hot single (“could”, featuring a killer boy/girl call & response chorus), as well as three other scorchers from their live set, which has been earning the group great shows around the mid-atlantic for nearly a year.
AVAILABILITY: marbled brown vinyl + digital download, limited run of 100
ARTWORK: jacket courtesy of HSAL, insert courtesy of the artists
– White Laces: our RVA darlings are SUPER busy these days. they skipped SXSW in lieu of working out ideas for their upcoming full-length. they have been accepted to this year’s MACRoCk festival (04/06 & 07, harrisonburg va) & will be playing with the likes of creepoid, lower dens, & big troubles! they are currently playing shows in support of HSAL #17 & a recently released split 7″ with arches (worthless junk).
– Goodwill Falcon: in addition to a new track on the upcoming HSAL 12″ compilation & their recently released split CD single with rugby, the falcon are flying high with a new CDEP out through closing scene. this collection offers up the first recordings with the current lineup & features live favorites like “the comforter” & “before you yell”.
– TLVS: they made it back from SXSW in one piece! they will be playing out this spring in support of HSAL #16, which should be shipping out from the lab in the final days of march. joe & nathan are continuing to work out new ideas, building off of “eid mar”, which will appear on the upcoming 12″ comp. their self-imposed goal is to have a new record done by summer’s end.
– Virgineola: stripped down to a four piece (with the occasional guest), virgineola are actively working out sound ideas for their role in this summer’s re-telling of shakespeare’s macbeth. a recent performance to support endstation theatre’s upcoming season proved to be a successful test run for the new line up, as reverb drench banjo, electric drones, simple synth driven low-end, & brushed percussion echoed through sold out auditorium. highlights from their 2010 run with “hamlet” can still be downloaded for free here.
– asentimentalsong: j morgan is looking to play some shows this spring in support of his split 10″ with brooklyn’s guilty ghosts (HSAL #19). morgan’s other drone offering, parties, has a few copies of their “monster mash” cassette (courtesy of drone life) left over from their west coast tour that they would love for you to check out.
as the new year begins, we’re way too busy with day jobs & with getting records together for all of you. here’s a quick update on what’s shakin’ round these parts:
GOODWILL FALCON / RUGBY SPLIT SINGLE:
– you can stream it & buy it here
– this is ridiculous
HSAL #17 & #19
– coming back from the presses now
– waiting for test presses now
UPCOMING HSAL COMPILATION 12″
– we’re curating a collection of jams from many HSAL artists & friends.
– this comp will be in the same tradition as HSAL #08 & HSAL #12, but will be released on vinyl as well!