as the new year begins, we’re way too busy with day jobs & with getting records together for all of you. here’s a quick update on what’s shakin’ round these parts:
GOODWILL FALCON / RUGBY SPLIT SINGLE:
– you can stream it & buy it here
– this is ridiculous
HSAL #17 & #19
– coming back from the presses now
– waiting for test presses now
UPCOMING HSAL COMPILATION 12″
– we’re curating a collection of jams from many HSAL artists & friends.
– this comp will be in the same tradition as HSAL #08 & HSAL #12, but will be released on vinyl as well!
we are but weeks from the official beginnings of autumn, & your friendly neighborhood assembly lab couldn’t be more excited. things just seem more crisp & in focus as the days shorten & the afternoons cool down. quite a few things going on at HSAL these days, so we figured that we would catch you up on our comings & goings:
– a neat little blog from canada recently spoke kindly about HSAL #06. avant lard, based in montreal, had this to say about the ommacobba side: “ommacobba’s work covers a rich spectrum of droned out RnR, to fake-jazzy freakouts, to krauty-space-stoner-pop, usually accompanied by large tom drum workouts and always given a generous portion of reverb and melody. daniel and denis definitely understand beauty and how to have a good time, their music reflects this take on life. the sound is a much needed breath of fresh air.”
– joe from TLVS has recently been interviewed for QRD, an online zine that covers drone & other “out there” types of sound. this is the first in-depth interview joe has ever done, but he came through with flying colors. you can nerd out with all the case, ax, pedal, & hero talk here.
– we are working on a 12″ release from ALASKA. the three-piece (with help from a fourth recently moved ex-member) just finished tracking their debut LP in a house out towards the western city limits of lynchburg virginia. they are putting together some really groovy instrumental rock with tons of surf leads. our hope is to release this LP by the time leaves are done changing colors.
– there are rumors of solo full lengths from both herizon & asentimentalsong (both featured on HSAL #08) being recorded this fall.
so, the “in the know” roanoke based blog scenic recovery has taken the time to put down some kind words about our digital comp, HSAL #08:
“Informed by the crop of late 90’s/early 2000’s experimental indie bands like Labradford, Pan.American and Sparklehorse, HSAL #8 is a deliciously lo-fi compilation of VA-based bands that have worked in and with the Lynchburg-based Harding St. family. Everything from ambient, Eno-style soundscapes (A Sentimental Song), twee-folk (Moruza) to noise and dream-pop (Herizon, Goodwill Falcon) is represented, and gives a good idea of the kind of music being made under the radar in the Old Dominion. Did we also mention that it’s free?”
also, one of scenic’s writers put together a 10 minute sound collage based on the different tracks from HSAL #08. you can stream that here.
UPDATE: our first cassette releases, each including a full digital download, are coming along nicely. williamsburg based electro-pop wunderkind goodwill falcon has turned in “private tones”, a 5 song EP with a stellar reworking of “the painter’s daughter (which was one of the hooks the falcon used to capture our ears last year). richmond’s white laces have doubled up with their self-titled EP. side a contains 4 jams, two of which were tracked at the legendary sound of music studios. the b side showcases frontman landis wine’s exploratory tendencies, with 3 abstract guitar washes. the incestuous CAVE DRUMS have offered up 7 lo-fi scorchers to serve as the a side of a split with canadian dead heads ommacobba & the east side marijuana band. interesting note: all three of our cassettes will feature a reworked versions of tunes featured on our digital comp!
UPDATE: having recently logged some serious road trip hours to & from the northeast, herizon has drunk deep from the well of inspiration. word has him working on what may become herizon’s next piece of vinyl. word also has a long-awaited live set materializing later this spring. while we don’t have all the details just yet, we have been told that a couple dates in virginia & north carolina are among the plans.
UPDATE: the late virginia summers has finally finished up “porcelain”, their follow-up to 2008’s “winter”. the two piece are working on a mid-may release date, with a handful of shows to support. up first is friday, april 23rd at the good cherry (forest virginia) with label mates white laces. this particular event will be a celebration of the current exhibit by our friend shan eberhardt. it’s called “blue nights“.
UPDATE: our records, including our first release, the split 7” b/t herizon & virgineola, can now be found in roanoke’s classiest consignment shop, bazaar consignments. we’ve also began to show up in the online store of spirit of orr (run by members of sunburned hand of man!).
the time has finally come! our first digital release, HSAL #08, is now available for your downloading pleasure. the 10 track compilation features a wide range of styles with a similar DIY production asthetic. most of these tunes were created in living rooms, garages, basements & other non-traditional performance spaces. from the dark pop sounds of goodwill falcon & white laces to the lo-fi mid-90’s throwback feel of CAVE DRUMS & herizon (all of whom have future releases through the lab), this collection is a very telling commentary on what the piedmont regions of virginia & north carolina currently has to offer.
well, it’s official. we have invited a new act into the harding street assembly lab. CAVE DRUMS is the newest addition to HSAL. comprised of three men from our home town, including tim condon (herizon), the group is finishing work on their first release. we will be mixing the record at the lab this weekend, & hope to have everything (sounds & artwork) together by the end of february, with the release of HSAL #06. the group will also be featured on our upcoming digital only compilation…
…which should be released at the beginning of march! HSAL #08 will be our first foray into “samplers”, & will feature some of our favorite acts from virginia & north carolina:
– moruza (richmond va)
– herizon (lynchburg va)
– andrew weathers (greensboro nc)
– CAVE DRUMS (lynchburg va / charlotte nc)
– white laces (richmond va)
– asentimentalsong (lynchburg va)
– starmount (raleigh nc)
– brian hall (gladys va)
– goodwill falcon (williamsburg va)
– saskatoon (lynchburg va)
– perhaps a couple more (waiting to hear back from a few more acts)
the download will be available as a zip file for free right here. we are really excited about sharing these artists with you all, as they are good friends of the label with great sounds to share.
finally, TLVS is taking next week to finish up their “porcelain” 12″ LP (HSAL #03). we have heard all of the tracks that have been completed so far, & are convinced that this is their best work yet. the duo is also expecting to finish up another EP’s worth of work in these sessions, so don’t be surprised to find additional TLVS outings this calendar year.