Your friendly neighborhood record label is near ecstatic to share our new lineup! Assuming you have been following us since the beginning, you have seen/heard records from TLVS & asentimentalsong (both acts were part of our 10″ series a few years back). No introductions needed there. Over the past year, honeybrandy has developed into an ethereal drone project all to itself (both Joey & Nathan are members of TLVS). On the strength of recent Lynchstock performances & sheer creative output, HSAL is uber-proud to welcome KillGXXD & Lloyd Harmon to the family. Both of these additions will be working on new releases over the summer months. For KillGXXD, it will be his first foray into live instrumentation as he partners with several folks from the Hill City musical scene. Lloyd Harmon, alongside of his stunning rhythm section, will be tracking material for a new EP with Chris Schlarb (countless collaborative recordings, the Psychic Temple being his most recent trend).
As we work through the back half of 2016, look for the following releases to surface:
- #29: honeybrandy/Oahu – (AUG/SEP) split cassette with each group presenting a single 20+ minute composition!
- #30: KillGXXD – (late winter/early spring) CDEP mixing original material & a choice cover or two…LIVE INSTRUMENTS!
- #31: Lloyd Harmon – (early fall) CDEP of “RA-K35H” material. Mainly the trio, but a few guests may sneak in!
- asentimentalsong photo by Nathan McGlothlin.
- honeybrandy photos by Joanna McGlothlin.
This past Friday, asentimentalsong & honeybrandy traveled east to space out for the patrons of Cure Coffeehouse & Brasserie in downtown Norfolk. It was great to spread the HSAL love to the tidewater folk. Highlights included complimentary Bellinis, strange sounds emanating from delay pedals during Himalayan Belles’ set, & honeybrandy inadvertently lighting patch cables on fire. Many thanks to Todd Webb for show set up & hospitality! In related news, look for TLVS to make their way back to Hampton Roads in the coming months…
We were so jazzed to start the festival off with the “tailgate” stage just outside the main gate entrance at this year’s Lynchstock! All three acts created the perfect entrance/ambiance to the day’s melding of different stylistic & artistic visions. Thanks to DJP & MrT (pictured above), asentimentalsong, & Seamonster (pictured above) for taking to our stage. We were also happy to present TLVS with some special guests on stage for their set in the afternoon. The “Discover” stage proved to be a really great melting pot of sounds all day long. Here’s a clip from the TLVS performance. It features Mike Tannian in the intro before the group storms into “Perseus Cluster”…
In case you weren’t aware or just missed our previous announcement, we’ve been afforded the honor of running a “tailgate” stage to help usher in the Lynchstock Music Festival! We wanted to put together a special treat for those who arrive on time or even (dare we say) early! We’ve secured a generator & are setting up to help celebrate the auditory magic that our Old Dominion continues to birth. Tentative schedule for the “Tailgate Stage” is as follows:
- 11:00A – 11:18A: Seamonster (super cute iPad-friendly pop tunes)
- 11:20A – 11:38A: asentimentalsong (swirly ambient guitar textures)
- 11:40A – 11:58A: DJP & MrT (keys + guitars + violin + vocals = catchy romanticism)
We’ll have everything set up for each act to happen one right after the other! The last sound from our stage will be done in enough time for you to rush the stage for the first official act of the festival. HSAL will also be taking care of the TLVS merch table/area. We’ll make sure there are some sweet deals on other Virginia-based vinyl, cassettes, CD’s, & other sundries available.
NOTE: We put together a playlist of all the HSAL related acts playing Lynchstock. Check it out ———–>
Speaking of TLVS, they are slated to perform on the Discover Stage at 2:05P! They are working on something rather interesting for their set & will have some special guests on stage with them. We are planning to document the set, but would love some assistance. If you end up filming any of the set or snap a couple of photos, we’d love to see your handiwork. Should we end up posting anything, we’d be delighted to post it (giving you the credit for it, of course).
We’ve worked out a really cool opportunity to join in on the Lynchstock festivities next month! As you all (should) know, TLVS will be playing the festival again this year. It should prove to be a wild ride, as Joe & Nathan are working on some special guests to assist them in performing a track the new record for the first time!
The new news is that HSAL has been given the honor of starting the whole day off! We have curated a pre-show stage that will be set up at the entrance gate to the festival grounds. We are going to have HSAL friends & family perform short sets leading up to the gates opening at 12P. We’ve confirmed sets by asentimentalsong (Joe from TLVS), DJP & Mr. T (featuring Jackie from Wyteshayds), & Seamonster (who will be releasing an ambient set on cassette/digital with HSAL this summer)!
HSAL #19: asentimentalsong / guilty ghosts split 10″ EP $15 PPD
*this is the third of our split 10″ series. the idea is to feature one of our own on the A side, with a friend of the label holding down the B side.*
the simplicity & openness of minimal music has always been near & dear to the heart of the assembly lab & this release allows for that affection to make itself known. j morgan’s (of TLVS) first released outing as “asentimentalsong” is a single fifteen minute composition that flirts with tension will riding down streams of swelling guitar layers. the b side, courtesy of brooklyn’s guilty ghosts, is comprised of three guitar pieces that rely less on rhythm & more on anticipation. these songs were dreamt up by tristan o’donnell during the tracking of his most recent “veils” LP.
AVAILABILITY: marbled burgundy vinyl + digital download, limited run of 100
ARTWORK: jacket courtesy of HSAL, insert courtesy of the artists
– White Laces: our RVA darlings are SUPER busy these days. they skipped SXSW in lieu of working out ideas for their upcoming full-length. they have been accepted to this year’s MACRoCk festival (04/06 & 07, harrisonburg va) & will be playing with the likes of creepoid, lower dens, & big troubles! they are currently playing shows in support of HSAL #17 & a recently released split 7″ with arches (worthless junk).
– Goodwill Falcon: in addition to a new track on the upcoming HSAL 12″ compilation & their recently released split CD single with rugby, the falcon are flying high with a new CDEP out through closing scene. this collection offers up the first recordings with the current lineup & features live favorites like “the comforter” & “before you yell”.
– TLVS: they made it back from SXSW in one piece! they will be playing out this spring in support of HSAL #16, which should be shipping out from the lab in the final days of march. joe & nathan are continuing to work out new ideas, building off of “eid mar”, which will appear on the upcoming 12″ comp. their self-imposed goal is to have a new record done by summer’s end.
– Virgineola: stripped down to a four piece (with the occasional guest), virgineola are actively working out sound ideas for their role in this summer’s re-telling of shakespeare’s macbeth. a recent performance to support endstation theatre’s upcoming season proved to be a successful test run for the new line up, as reverb drench banjo, electric drones, simple synth driven low-end, & brushed percussion echoed through sold out auditorium. highlights from their 2010 run with “hamlet” can still be downloaded for free here.
– asentimentalsong: j morgan is looking to play some shows this spring in support of his split 10″ with brooklyn’s guilty ghosts (HSAL #19). morgan’s other drone offering, parties, has a few copies of their “monster mash” cassette (courtesy of drone life) left over from their west coast tour that they would love for you to check out.